The Call for Bursaries has now closed.
Our 2022 award will be for up to 8 applicants at a maximum of £250 of travel costs reimbursed. Please see the complete details of the bursary to apply.
Read more for our selection criteria, tips for applicants, and link to the application.
Questions or help needed? Contact [email protected]
Society of Research Software Engineers Travel Bursary Scheme
- Available Awards: 8
- Maximum Award: £250.00
- Application form opens: 25th May 2022
- Deadline for Application: 19th July 2022
Our travel bursary award is designed for those who are one or more of the following:
- Are in an early career RSE/researcher (see below for definition);
- Are a student with an interest in RSE-related topics;
- Are an RSE/researcher/student currently living/working outside of the UK.
To qualify for this scheme the applicant must fall into at least one of the above categories and would be unable to attend in-person without the bursary.
Travel bursaries will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Widening participation – we wish to ensure that RSECon22 has a diverse range of attendees from across different backgrounds, skill levels, career backgrounds etc. We will therefore prioritise travel bursaries for applicants that come from under-represented backgrounds and who find it difficult or challenging to access travel money (e.g. because they don’t have access to research funding).
- Encouraging interaction – we would like attendees of RSECon22 to share knowledge and expertise, e.g. via active participation in workshops, enthusiastic engagement with tutorials, by presenting excellent talks and posters and by fully networking and engaging with other attendees, with UKRSE and sponsors.
Early Career Definition:
For those applicants wishing to apply under early career, we define this as within the first five years in an RSE role following completion of your education.
The bursary is to be used for:
- The costs of transport from your home institution to Newcastle
- Subsistence at the RSE conference venue
Travel bursaries will be paid retrospectively after the conference, after receipt of a correctly completed expense claim form including original receipts, and confirmation that you attended the conference. More details on how to apply and how to be reimbursed will be available later in the year.